You might not realize that Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing Corp. (KMM) has had a motorcycle assembly plant in Lincoln, Nebraska since 1974. The plant has put out over three million vehicles including jet skis, motorcycles and snowmobiles. KMM has produced 36 different models of motorcycles, seven different snowmobiles, 44 models of jet ski, 46 different ATVs, 44 models of utility and recreation utility vehicles, 27 different models of industrial robots and nine rail car types.
According to an article at Motorcycles USA, over 213 models have been produced by the factory. According to Kawasaki’s own website, “The consumer products manufacturing facility in Lincoln, located on 335 acres of land, has grown since its opening in 1974 from the original 286,000 square feet to nearly 1.3 million square feet of manufacturing, office and warehouse space. In 2001, the rail car plant was completed at the Lincoln site, adding 437,000 square feet for light rail car manufacturing.”
Over 1,o00 people work at the Lincoln facilities. In 2010, the factory celebrated the production of its 3 millionth vehicle, which was a 2011 Teryx 750 FI 4×4 Sport.
The plant has been productive enough that in December of 1981 it split away from Kawasaki Motors Corp. to form its own entity — Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing. In January of 1989, a separate engine plant was established as a division of KMM in Maryville, Missouri. Certain parts are made on special presses right on the assembly line at the Lincoln plant, which means there are no shortages or excess inventory for these items.
Tours of the Lincoln, Neb. plant are available according to Kawasaki’s website. Details can be found here, or below:
- Tours are available every Thursday at 10 a.m.
- A maximum of eight (8) individuals may attend.
- Tour length is one (1) hour.
- Tours must be scheduled through the Human Resources Department.
- Advance notice is appreciated but not required.
- Tours may also be available for educational institutions by submitting a letter of request to the e-mail address indicated below.
Children must be 12 years of age or older to tour the facilities.
- No shorts or open-toed or open-heeled shoes are allowed.
- No cameras, camcorders or recording devices of any kind are allowed.
- Safety glasses will be provided at the plant, which must be worn at all times on the production floor.
- Visitors must stay in the aisles and with the tour guide at all times.
Kawasaki Motors Manufacturing Corp., U.S.A.
6600 N.W. 27th Street
Lincoln, NE 68524
Phone: (402) 476-6600
Fax: (402) 476-4735