If you’re like us and you waited until now to get your Christmas shopping done (Oops!), don’t worry: there’s still plenty of time to get that special gift for your loved ones. But don’t forget the best STEM toys for your kids that will guarantee they fall in love with math and science!
Dale Dougherty, the founder of the Maker Faires, recently sat down for an interview with Time and explained how STEM toys would make excellent holiday gifts for kids this year. When asked for some STEM toy suggestions, Dougherty sent in a list of great STEM gizmos and gadgets, along with a description of the companies who make these toys. Maybe you’ll find some ideas for this year’s extra special Christmas gift:
- mBot: “An all-in-one solution for kids and beginners to get hands-on experience with robotics, programming, and electronics.”
- MaKey MaKey: “An Arduino-based device that lets you turn nearly anything into a computer key.”
- Bare Conducive Paint: “Bare Paint provides a dramatically different method of interacting with electronics as it can be applied to almost any surface, including cardboard, paper, wood, wallpaper, walls, textiles, and some plastics.”
- Handheld 3D Printing Pen: “Use the 3Doodler to create all types of ‘doodles,’ from flat forms that can be peeled off a piece of paper, to freestyle 3D objects, to separate parts that can be joined together.”
Melinda Gates, philanthropist and wife of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, also had some ideas for gifts that help kids learn as well as play, including:
- littleBits Gizmos and Gadgets: “Make a remote-control race car, a mischief machine, or create your own one-of-a-kind electronics projects.”
- Stem Box: “A subscription service that delivers mostly experiments for young scientists with an emphasis on getting girls interested in STEM.”
- Wonder Workshop Dash robot: “The most fun way to foster coding skills through robotics.”
However you decide to celebrate the holidays with your loved ones, we hope you have a very special and Merry Christmas this year. Your friends at Dream It Do It Nebraska want to wish you a happy holiday from the bottom of our hearts. You have already given us the best gift of all by following us on Facebook, Twitter, and this blog, giving us a reason to keep bringing you the latest updates in the world of STEM education.
May you have a wonderful holiday with your friends and family this year!